Setting up and running a Project Management Office
The project management office
Having a PMO does not, by itself, increase project success. It’s what the PMO does that makes the difference; and that depends on how successful an organization is in delivering its projects, what problems the PMO is expected to address and the aspects of portfolio, program and project management need to be improved. This course focuses on setting up and running a project management office and is based on the best practices, tools, techniques and templates following PMI standards and best practices.
The syllabus for this course covers the key functions and challenges that are important for the PMO and explores the best practices and trends to improve communication, manage costs and optimize resource utilization. You will learn how to prioritize activities and monitor progress and budgets on a continual basis.
This course is for new and experienced project managers and especially those who want to setup a PMO function and develop or improve the PMO project management methodology to maximise the benefits of an individual project or to increase the value of a central PMO function within their organization.
The course includes:
- Portfolios, program and the project office environment
- An in depth understanding of the services a PMO should perform within an organization
- PMO best practice and which strategies and tactics are right for an organization
- How to address the key challenges the PMO faces within a project and organization
- Setting up and implementing a PMO function within an project
- The project team and its roles and responsibilities within the project management office
- Project management methodologies, processes, templates and software
- Automation and centralization of project management tools and processes
- Project governance, data gathering, reporting and metrics
- Maximizing PMO performance and value, and learn how to evaluate key metrics for success
- The fundamentals of risk management, strategies and tactics
- Educational training, knowledge management, mentoring and lessons learned
- Project reviews and continuous improvement
- 1 hour introduction via webinar (up to 20 people)
- 3 hour course via webinar (up to 20 people)
- 1 day course on site (up to 15 people)
In addition to the standard course available specific courses can be tailored to meet a specific organizations needs, including contents and duration.
Provided at the webinars:
- Online presentation package
Provided for each delegate during the course:
- Full presentation package
- Project management toolkit download of all templates discussed during the training
- 12 months free access to the online toolkit (PMI standard) including additional tools and updates
Do you want to expand your project management knowledge?
Join my project management blog and gain insight into the latest news and stories.